Windsor and Maidenhead still resolving waste collection fiasco

ANOTHER week, another day of frustration and disappointment from councillors and residents over missed waste collections.

Despite dealing with the backlog of last week’s missed bin collection over the weekend, the Royal Borough’s contractors, Serco, still missed a number of residents this week.

On Monday (September 14), 25 per cent of routes were not completed, on Tuesday, only nine per cent of routes were missed, and three per cent on Thursday, according to the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.

Serco have apologised and said they have dispatched additional crews and vehicles this week with the possibility of staff collecting waste and recycling until 7pm going forward.

READ MORE: Demolition works for Maidenhead flats given go ahead

Councillor David Coppinger (Conservative: Bray), lead member for waste, said despite Tuesday’s service being the ‘best Tuesday service’ for four weeks, the service is still ‘disappointing’.

He said: “The reason for this appalling service is that they introduced new routes when we moved back to weekly collections. We were aware of this as it would make the routes more efficient and reduce levels of CO2 however they got it badly wrong and cannot seem to recover from the position.

“The key thing is that none of this is the fault of our residents and we apologise for this truly unacceptable situation, it’s not what residents deserve, and we are doing everything within our power to make the service better.”

The leader of the council, councillor Andrew Johnson (Conservative: Hurley and Walthams), said ‘we are being badly let down’ by Serco’s performance as of late and has called for an immediate ‘drastic improvement’.

He said: “I fully appreciate this doesn’t help with the immediate issue that some residents are experiencing but we have insisted that Serco deploys significant additional resources this week, at their cost, to get to a position where they have caught up with previous missed collections and they can properly assess their new routes.

READ MORE: Windsor and Maidenhead council tax support ruled ‘unlawful’

“This will eventually enable them to make improvements and ultimately reach a position where missed collections are the exception and the majority of collections take place as scheduled, thereby delivering the kind of service we expect and deserve.”

Katy Bassett, Serco’s Regional Director for Environmental Services, said: “Our teams have been working extremely hard to overcome the issues we have been experiencing and we are making progress.

“We are however aware that some bins have been missed, if you are one of these residents we apologise and ask if you could complete a missed bin form online so crews can collect: https://www.rbwm.gov.uk/home/environment-and-waste/recycling-and-rubbish/report-missed-bin?fbclid=IwAR0Fa_0gwCBiTN-34NSei6SFniJvWX6Q0TL5p42sQ8ywy31MXuiFqsoGRKI

“To further support the service across the Royal Borough we have additional vehicles and crews out this week, in addition, our crews may be out collecting up until 7pm going forward so please do leave your bins out.”

READ MORE: New grand Slough hotel and apartments ahead of schedule

Residents who had a missed collection on Tuesday will have it collected on Saturday (September 19) and those who affected on Thursday will have it picked up on either Saturday or Sunday.

The council has asked for bins to be out by 7am with some collections may taking place until 7pm.

Slough Observer | News