Family of mother hit by train with baby daughter in Taplow wait for answers

The family of a mother who was hit and killed by a train along with her baby daughter will have to wait to find out why she fell on the railway tracks after her inquest was delayed.

Leighane Redmond, aged 27, died along with her three-year-old daughter Melisadie Paris after they were hit by a high-speed train at Taplow Station on February 18, 2019.

During its investigations, British Transport Police treated the incident as a murder-suicide, but the full outcome of its enquiries will be revealed when the inquest takes place.

READ MORE: Police look for man who absconded from HMP Springhill

At a pre-inquest review held a Beaconsfield Coroners Court today (Wednesday) senior coroner for Buckinghamshire Crispin Butler agreed to postpone the full inquest, which was scheduled to begin in six weeks’ time on November 8, and potentially delay it by almost a year.

Mr Butler took this decision after Yvette Redmond, Leighane’s mother, and Leroy Paris, Melisadie’s father, requested a postponement.

Alex Littlefair, the lawyer representing Mr Paris, said: “The families are aligned in the sense that the Paris family would like an adjournment.

He said: “There are complex submissions by the other parties and while I have taken some instructions from the family this morning, I haven’t had the opportunity to take full instructions or advise them.

READ MORE: Murder suspect who called Birmingham ‘reinforcements’ had ‘defensive’ hand injury

“The Paris family cannot prepare or be advised in relation to the inquest taking place unless there is more time.”

Caoilfhionn Gallagher QC, representing Leighane’s mother, supported this request, while Ben Compton QC, representing MTR Elizabeth Line, argued that the delay was not be required.

After consideration, the coroner Mr Butler decided in favour of the families, opting to delay the planned inquest and move it back to a later date, which is yet to be confirmed.

He said: “The only fair and reasonable approach must be to adjourn the final hearing and re-list.

“I don’t think we have any other option.”

Mr Littlefair advised that the family would be ready for the full inquest in early 2022, but the court heard how due to scheduling issues, it may not be possible to arrange the full four-week hearing until September next year.

Mr Butler told the court that a further pre-inquest review will take place on November 8 so that the parties can continue to discuss matters arising.

*If you have found anything in this article upsetting or distressing, you can call Samaritans for free on 116 123.

Slough Observer | News